These peanut butter puffed wheat squares are easy, delicious, loaded with fibre, and great for packing as snacks on-the-go!
I use All-Bran to boost the fibre and help make these peanut butter puffed wheat squares more filling. All-Bran uses wheat bran fibre which can promote bowel regularity and may assist in weight maintenance. Plus, it’s easy to add to your favourite recipe! It doesn’t impact the flavour and adds an extra crunch. This is not a sponsored post! I include All-Bran in my diet regularly.
Including wheat bran in your diet can also help lower blood cholesterol. To remember the difference between soluble and insoluble fibre, I always use the mnemonic “slow-uble fibre”. This helps me remember that soluble fibre soaks up water and helps slow the passing of stool by adding bulk! It also helps slow the absorption of sugars from the intestine and reduces LDL cholesterol (“bad” cholesterol).
Despite all the wonderful health benefits of fibre, most Canadians are only getting about half the recommended daily amount. Canadian women need 25 grams of fibre per day and men need 38 grams of fibre per day. Each puffed wheat square from this recipe contains about 4.5g of fibre (from the All-Bran, puffed wheat, and peanut butter), which can add a nice little fibre boost to your day!
Make these crispy, sweet treats nut-free by swapping the peanut butter for your favourite seed butter and omitting the peanut topping. Full disclosure, I have not tried this so I can’t vouch for how it tastes, but I am sure it would be fine!
Peanut Butter Puffed Wheat Squares
- 9×9 cake pan
- ¼ cup butter unsalted
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 5.5 cups mini marshmallows
- 5 cups puffed wheat cereal
- 1 cup All-Bran cereal
- ½ cup chocolate chips optional
- 1 tsp coconut oil optional
- Use a little butter or cooking spray to grease a 9×9 pan.
- Melt butter over medium-low heat. Add peanut butter and stir until combined.
- Add marshmallows and stir consistently until melted and combined (about 5 minutes).
- Remove from heat and add puffed wheat and All-Bran. Fold into melted mixture until completely coated.
- Add mixture to 9×9 greased pan and press down with a spatula.
- Chill in fridge for 30 minutes.
- Melt chocolate and coconut oil togther in a microwave or on the stove top. Drizzle over the top of the squares and top with crushed peanuts. Allow chocolate to set, then cut into squares and enjoy!
Looking for more easy and delicious recipes? Try this salted caramel smoothie. It’s sweet, salty, nutritious and 100% satisfying!